The Kent Free Library welcomes those interested in employment to fill out an application and return it to the library. Completed applications are kept on file for 90 days. If, in that time, a position opens for which an applicant is qualified, the library may be in contact.
The following position is currently available:
This position will remain open until filled.
Job Title: Technology Coordinator, Kent Free Library, Kent, OH (full-time 37.5 hours/week)
This position is responsible for the overall administration, maintenance, security monitoring, and performance of the Kent Free Library network, along with technical support to ensure optimal performance of all library systems. The successful candidate will be able to provide IT support for Kent Free Library and develop and coordinate current and future technology implementation. Work is performed with a considerable amount of independent judgment and the ability to problem solve effectively. As a member of the administrative team this position will also assist in a variety of duties including: recommending policies and procedures, technology purchasing, long-range planning, and coordinating services for library users and staff.
This full-time position reports to the library Director and requires a flexible schedule that may require evening and weekend hours as needed and on-call availability to meet the needs of the library and its customers, both internally and externally, in the event of an emergency.
A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related field. Alternately, an equivalent combination of education, training and experience is required. Demonstrated work experience with operating systems, servers, and networks required. Public computer lab experience helpful. Previous library experience preferred. Previous work experience with Innovative Interfaces Millennium ILS preferred. A Master’s degree in Library and Information Science is a plus.
The Technology Coordinator is responsible for the daily maintenance and operation of all library systems to ensure hardware and software meet the needs of the both library users and staff. This includes personal computers, public access computers, CISCO telephones, security cameras and DVR, Wi-Fi network, and other technology in use by the library. The successful candidate is responsible for the effective provisioning, installation and configuration of all systems within the policies and procedures established by the Board of Trustees and library administration. Responsibilities include:
• Daily system monitoring and maintenance, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware and software and applying any updates as needed.
• Daily backup operations in accordance with established procedures.
• Maintain security of hardware and software.
• Cooperate with library staff to provide user support and/or training.
• Troubleshoot and investigate technology issues, errors and failures and recommends solutions.
• Communicate with and update library staff with any issues that affect technology operations in the building.
• Repair and recover from system failures, perform standard updates and routine procedures to maintain health of the technology.
• Maintain procedures and documentation for system configuration and standards.
• Install and configure hardware, software and peripherals in a network environment.
• Research, recommend and implement innovations or emerging technologies to enhance technology used in the building and by staff to provide services to the public.
• Advise on refining policies and procedures related to the use of library technology.
• Manage and administers web filters and other applications as assigned.
• Deploy technology enhancements in accordance with timelines established by the Director.
• Assist the Director in implementing a technology plan.
• Develop creative solutions to benefit the library and its customers.
• Escalate problems to vendors or second level of support when appropriate and act as liaison with agencies providing technology services to the library.
• Ability to explain technical procedures to staff and public with patience.
• Participates in necessary testing and evaluation for usability and delivery of library services.
• Perform other related duties as deemed necessary or appropriate.
• Strong project and time management skills.
• Maintain current knowledge of technology changes and innovations to adjust job duties as needed.
• Ability to use discretion due to access to confidential information.
• Knowledge of standard library operating procedures, terminology, etc.
• Understanding of modern server infrastructure, specifically Microsoft active directory and group policy.
• Ability to work with routers, switches, servers, DNS, file servers, wireless access points, and other typical technologies.
• Experience with ILS.
• Experience with SIP2/NSIP.
• Knowledge of firewalls, specifically Microsoft ISA server.
• Knowledge of network switching and both local and wide area network management.
• Experience with RFID systems; Bibliotheca being a plus.
• Basic understanding of Internet protocols.
• Previous network administration experience.
Ohio Public Employee Retirement System, 22 vacation days per year, 12 days paid sick leave per year, medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Stacey Richardson, Library Director, at: [email protected] No phone calls please.