On June 22, the library will transition from curbside pickup to Library Express service. We are excited to welcome the community back inside the library. During this phase, the building will reopen to the public with precautions in place to promote the continued safety of the community and library staff. Limited and essential library services will be available. This is the next step in our gradual return to full service.
9:00 to 10:00 am each day is reserved for senior citizens and other high-risk visitors.
Monday – Thursday 9:00 am – 8:00 pm
Friday 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
Saturday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
The library will maintain curbside service for those uncomfortable entering the library. The drive-thru window will reopen for hold pick up.
Stay Safe Guidelines When Visiting the Library:
We encourage responsible use of the library that will help everyone stay safe.
• Limit your visit to essential library tasks and stay no longer than one hour
• Masks are required indoors in the City of Kent
• Stay at home if you, or someone in your household, is sick or has COVID-19 symptoms
• Enter the library using the parking lot entrance
• Main Street entrance will be exit only
• Follow social distancing floor decals and signs at public service desks
• Keep a distance of at least 6 feet from others
• Use hand sanitizing stations
• Children ages 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult
• Building capacity is limited to 150 people, including staff, at one time
• Sanitizing wipes are available for public computers
- Get a library card
- Browse and check out library materials
- Pick up holds – NEW self-serve hold pick up inside lobby
- Return library materials
- Make copies and scan documents
- Use a computer – limited to one, one hour session per day
- Use self-checkout to check on account, pay fines, or borrow materials
- Drop off Summer Reading Adventure prize entries
- Read newspapers and magazines
- Speak to staff in-person about your account, to place holds, or to ask questions
- Request 3D printing service
- Library @Your Door service will begin Thursday, July 2
The Following Services Are Unavailable at This Time:
- In-person programs
- Study, conference, or meeting room use or reservations
- Office supplies for patron use (stapler, scissors, tape, pens, pencils, paperclips)
- Library telephones for patron use
- Toys, puzzles, puppets, game computers, or play spaces in Children’s Room
- One on one assistance at computers, with devices, or at copiers and printers
- Water fountains
- Donations of books or other library materials
Decisions about when the library will resume in-person programs will be made as more information becomes available from local and state officials and it is deemed safe to do so.
Safety Measures Put in Place by the Library:
- Staff is required to wear masks
- Staff perform a daily self-assessment of symptoms, including temperature, and do not report to work if sick
- Returned library materials are quarantined for 72 hours
- Protective barriers have been installed at public service desks
- Social distancing floor decals have been installed
- Increased sanitizing of high touch surfaces and common areas
- Computers have been removed or rearranged to allow appropriate social distance
- Furniture has been removed or rearranged to promote social distancing
Amendment to the Patron Behavior Policy:
Behavior that is deemed as threatening others with exposure to the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) virus, or other pandemics, will result in eviction from the library and could be subject to criminal charges under Ohio law.
Approved by the Board of Trustees on June 11, 2020
To use Curbside Service, first, place the materials you would like on Hold. Holds may be placed using the library’s catalog or mobile app; by calling the library or emailing your requests to [email protected]; by using our new chat service, available in the lower right corner of our homepage during library hours; or using our new recommendations form, which is useful if you don’t have any specific titles in mind.
Second, watch your account or wait for a phone, email, or text notice that your holds are available. You have seven days from when you are notified to pick up your holds.
Third, arrive at the library at least 15 minutes before closing and park in one of the marked spaces in the parking lot. Call the library at 330-673-4414 option 5 and provide your name, last four digits of library card number, and parking spot number. Then open your trunk.
Once you are back in your vehicle, a library staff member will bring a bag with your holds to your vehicle and place them in the trunk. If your trunk is not open, staff will leave the bag next to your vehicle. For your safety, and the safety of our staff, we ask that you remain in your vehicle while staff is delivering your items. If you do not have a cell phone, please call before leaving home and provide an estimated time of arrival.
If you walk or bicycle to the library or ride the bus, wait by the bench to the right of the parking lot entrance and call the library. A staff member will bring your bag outside for you to retrieve once the staff member has reentered the building.
Please note that staff will not be able to accept your returns—please use the drive through or the return bins to the left of the parking lot doors. Staff also cannot accept money for fines at curbside; if you cannot come into the building, please pay fines using your online account at this time.