Kent Free Library welcomes those interested in employment at the library to fill out an application and return it to the library. Completed applications are kept on file for 90 days. If, in that time, a position opens for which an applicant is qualified, the library may be in contact.
The following position is currently available:
Job Title: Adult Services/Outreach Librarian (FT)
Supervisor: Adult Services Manager
The Adult Services/Outreach Librarian is a full-time position in the Adult Services Department. The primary responsibilities of this position include welcoming all library visitors, providing respectful and courteous customer service at the library’s Information Desks, and coordinating the library’s homebound delivery service. The successful applicant shall be approachable and friendly, willing to be a team player, and someone who truly enjoys working with the public and making positive contributions to the library and the Kent community. Regular tasks include: offering reference and reader’s advisory; organizing, selecting, and delivering library materials to homebound patrons; creating and implementing programs and special events for adults; participating in collection development; assisting library visitors with library technology including public computers, software, hardware and peripherals; marketing department programs, events, and collections; monitoring the library for safety and security; enforcing patron behavior guidelines; and other duties as assigned in order to assist a diverse community of library visitors.
Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Greet patrons with respect and create a welcoming environment for all visitors
- Offer appropriate and professional customer service excellence to all visitors
- Observe immediate area for incoming patrons and their need for assistance
- Provide traditional reference and readers’ advisory assistance at the information desk
- Coordinate homebound service including delivery of library materials
- Offer technology help in a one-on-one setting at the Information Desk and at the public computers
- Provide technology assistance for e-media use, 3D printing, and other emerging technologies
- Organize, create, and implement programs for adults
- Market library programs, events and collections
- Participate in collection development
- Reserve study, conference and meeting rooms for library visitors
- Assist with daily ILL for Portage Library Consortium and SearchOhio/OhioLINK
- Assist with magazine and newspaper processing and maintenance
- Follow library safety and security procedures and policies
- Enforce the library’s patron behavior policy
- Minimize difficult situations with library visitors to maintain goodwill
- Report facilities and grounds issues needing attention to the appropriate staff
- Solve problems and troubleshoot to find solutions to patron and coworker needs
- Cooperate and collaborate with co-workers to meet needs of the library
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor or library director
Master’s Degree (MLS or MLIS) in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited program. Flexible schedule including two evenings a week and a Saturday and Sunday rotation. Ability to use tablets, e-readers, 3D printer, and other emerging technologies. Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Internet, and library ILS. A valid driver’s license with a clean driving record, reliable transportation, and proof of insurance.
Demonstrated public library experience from previous employment or from a practicum. Familiarity with current public library trends, pop culture, and popular authors, titles, movies, and music.
The primary duties of this position are conducted inside in an office setting. Outreach job duties are conducted outside the library and involve visiting patrons at their homes, apartments, or other residential facilities in the community. The noise level is generally quiet or at a volume appropriate for an indoor location. Employee may be exposed to dust, fluctuations in interior temperature, and electromagnetic radiation from computer monitors. Occasional exposure to bodily fluids or hazardous materials may occur.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to finger, handle, feel, or operate objects, tools or controls; talk; hear; reach with hands and arms, and grasp objects with fingers; stand, walk, climb, bend over, balance, kneel, and crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or push and pull up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and vision necessary to operate computers and various office equipment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Salary: Starting at $35,178.00 dependent on qualifications
To Apply:Submit a cover letter and resume to the Director, Stacey Richardson, at [email protected]