Summer Reading Challenge for All Ages
Be sure to turn in your Reading Record by 6:00 pm on Friday, August 6!
Children ages 17 and under can sign up by visiting the Children’s Room or filling out the registration form. Pick up or print out a Reading Record, and begin recording the amount of time you spend reading or that someone reads to you. Listening to audiobooks also counts.
Each space on the reading record equals ten (10) minutes of reading. Color one space for every ten (10) minutes spent reading. Read for 600 minutes/10 hours to receive a tote bag and a ticket to a Cleveland Monsters game; read for 1,200 minutes/20 hours to get a free book and a grand prize raffle drawing entry. Participants may complete one reading record.
The final day to enter is August 6. Prizewinners will be notified on or after August 9, 2021.
To wrap up the program, on Saturday, July 31 from 2:00 – 3:00 pm, families with children of all ages, are invited to a special visit from real life farm animals! Interact with chickens, ducks, rabbits, turkeys, sheep goats and more! Penguin Ice Cream will also be here from 1:00 to 3:00 pm dishing up eight different ice cream flavors and toppings! This event will be held outside in the grassy area surrounding the library parking lot. Ice cream will be available on a first come first served basis.
1. Care for a Critter: Choose the animal from the Akron Zoo that KFL will sponsor
2. Donation made to the Portage County Animal Protective League in the participant’s name
3. Dog Themed Prize Pack
4. Pete the Cat Themed Prize Pack
5. Dinosaur Themed Prize Pack
6. Kent Gift Card Package
7. Kent Gift Card Package #2
8. Folkmanis Fingerpuppets and Books
9. Target Gift Card
10. Message Board, Telestrations Game and BoogieBoard Prize Pack
But why should the kids have all the fun? Adults ages 18 can also pick up or print out a Reading Record and start recording the time spent reading in 15 minute increments. After 10 hours, bring your reading record in to receive a KFL tote bag and a coupon for $10 off your stay at an Ohio State Park campground, cabin, or lodge. Continue reading for an additional 10 hours to receive a grand prize entry in a drawing for one of 10 amazing prizes.
Super readers can continue reading to receive additional grand prize entries when they reach a total of 40 and 80 hours. In addition, turn over a new leaf by completing challenges designed to help you learn more about library services, and receive another grand prize entry (limit 4 entries).
Reading Records must be turned in by 6:00 pm on Friday, August 6.
Don’t miss the Fancy Zoom Paw-ty on Monday, August 9 at 7:00 pm. Dress up your pet in his or her finest outfit and hop on Zoom. Best Dressed prizes will be given for Cat, Dog, and Other Pets. Summer reading prize winners will be announced at the Party.
A party goody bag with treats for humans and their pets will be given out to the first 40 registrants (registrants must specify DOG bag or CAT bag). Registration begins Monday, July 26 at 9:00 am. You will be notified if you were among the recipients to receive a goody bag. Goody bags may be picked up starting July 25 up until Saturday, August 7 at 5:00 pm. Any goody bags not picked up by then will be offered to attendees further down the list, who will be notified to come in and pick up.
Grand Prizes–Come in and see them in the display case by the Information Desk!
- Kent Restaurant Gift Cards: $20 gift cards to The Battleground, Erie Street Kitchen, Grazers, and The River Merchant
- Kent Shop Gift Cards: $20 gift cards Bent Tree Coffee Roasters, Haymaker Farmers’ Market, Off the Wagon, and Popped!
- Brunch in Kent Gift Cards: $20 gift cards Little City Grill, Over Easy Morning Cafe, Tree City Coffee, Wild Goats Cafe
- Bird Lover’s Basket: A bird feeder, puzzle, notecards, and $20 gift card to Tree City Feed
- Black Squirrel Lover’s Basket: T-shirt, Tote, Tumbler with straw, Travel mug, Stuffed toy, Mug, Decals, Change purse
- British TV: A one-year subscription to Acorn TV and a copy of James Herriot’s Favorite Dog Stories
- Puzzles: 6 animal-themed puzzles
- Writer’s Basket: Book on writing, Writers’ prompts, Mug, Tea, T-shirt, Do Not Disturb sign, Keychain
- A memorial/honor brick at the Portage County Animal Protective League inscribed with the name of the winner’s pet(s).
- Movie Night Basket: A Fire TV Stick, 2 black squirrel pint glasses, and snacks for a movie night (2 winners)