Summer Reading Challenge for All Ages
Thursday, May 27 – Friday, August 6
The library’s all-ages Summer Reading Challenge kicks off on Thursday, May 27 and runs through Friday, August 6. The theme this year is Tails and Tales, and the Youth and Adult Services Departments have planned exciting challenges and events for all ages!
Children ages 17 and under can sign up by visiting the Children’s Room or filling out the registration form on or after Thursday, May 27. Pick up or print out a Reading Record, and begin recording the amount of time you spend reading or that someone reads to you. Listening to audiobooks also counts.
Each space on the reading record equals ten (10) minutes of reading. Color one space for every ten (10) minutes spent reading. Read for 600 minutes/10 hours to receive a tote bag; read for 1,200 minutes/20 hours to get a free book and a grand prize raffle drawing entry. Participants may complete one reading record.
The final day to enter is August 6. Prizewinners will be notified on or after August 9, 2021.
Throughout the summer, enjoy programs on the theme of Tails and Tales, including an all-ages virtual visit to the Toledo Zoo on June 10 at 6:00 pm. Farm to You will bring live animals to the library on July 31 at 2:00 pm.
1. Care for a Critter: Choose the animal from the Akron Zoo that KFL will sponsor
2. Donation made to the Portage County Animal Protective League in the participant’s name
3. Dog Themed Prize Pack
4. Pete the Cat Themed Prize Pack
5. Dinosaur Themed Prize Pack
6. Kent Gift Card Package
7. Kent Gift Card Package #2
8. Folkmanis Fingerpuppets and Books
9. Target Gift Card
10. Message Board, Telestrations Game and BoogieBoard Prize Pack
But why should the kids have all the fun? Adults ages 18 can also pick up or print out a reading record on or after Thursday, May 27 and start recording the time spent reading in 15 minute increments. After 10 hours, bring your reading record in to receive a KFL tote bag and a coupon for $10 off your stay at an Ohio State Park campground, cabin, or lodge. Continue reading for an additional 10 hours to receive a grand prize entry in a drawing for one of 10 amazing prizes.
Super readers can continue reading to receive additional grand prize entries when they reach a total of 40 and 80 hours. In addition, turn over a new leaf by completing challenges designed to help you learn more about library services, and receive another grand prize entry (limit 4 entries).
Reading Records must be turned in by 6:00 pm on Friday, August 6.
The library is also planning some wonderful programs on the theme of Tails and Tales, including a virtual visit from Dr. Aysha Akhtar, author of Our Symphony with Animals on Thursday, July 8.
- Kent Restaurant Gift Cards
- Kent Shop Gift Cards
- Kent Brunch Gift Cards
- Bird-themed basket and gift card to Tree City Feed
- Squirrel-themed basket
- Acorn TV Subscription and a copy of James Herriot’s Favorite Dog Stories
- Animal Themed Puzzle basket
- Writing/Journaling Gift Basket
- A memorial/honor brick at the Portage County Animal Protective League inscribed with the name of the winner’s pet(s).
- A roku and snacks for a movie night (2 winners)